Every healthy heart diet should contain pomegranate fruit and juice. Research studies indicate that this antioxidant packed fruit is very effective in preventing heart disease by effectively moving the food through the digestive tract and keeping any excess fat from building up on the walls of the heart arteries. Be sure to include this fruit on your shopping list!
Healthy Heart Diet Guidelines
1. Eat a rainbow – choose from a wide variety of colorful fruits and vegetables. Increase your servings of fruits and vegetables to 5 to 6 servings or as many as 9 servings per day to keep your heart healthy.
2. Decrease saturated fats – the recommended amount of saturated fat is 8 to 10% of your total calories per day.
3. Add flavor in new ways – for example, instead of adding butter or margarine to your foods, try lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, spices, olive oil, and herbs.
4. Substitute low-fat foods for high-fat foods – you can achieve tasty and healthy meals by switching out vegetable oil for canola or safflower oil and opting for simple changes like sugar-free jam on your English muffin rather than a slathering of margarine.
5. Exercise – it’s vital for a healthy heart! Include at least 30 minutes of exercise per day three to four times per week. Strength training is very important for building muscle and revving up the metabolism too.
6. Check food labels – you might be surprised at what is hiding in your favorite whole wheat cracker or low-fat cookie choices. Many items, though they are labeled as reduced fat or low sodium still pack more calories in these areas than is recommended for a healthy heart diet.
Change Your Mindset About Food!
There are so many delicious foods you can enjoy while eating to keep your heart healthy and clear of harmful fatty deposits! Most people automatically think of the foods they cannot eat or enjoy only once in a while. Instead, why not focus on all the great foods you can eat and remember that you’re helping protect your heart – the one that is going to take good care of you for a lifetime if you take good care of it.
Recommended Foods for Clean Arteries and Strong Heart
You’ll be eating and enjoying all the right foods for a healthy heart in no time when you include tangy pomegranates, crunchy carrots, and nutty brown rice in your meals!